Last updated on September 3rd, 2018
36. In March of 2010, he signed his signature legislation, the Affordable Care Act, into law. Anywhere from 12 to 18 million Americans acquired health insurance who previously did not have coverage due to this law.
37. Obama was the first sitting U. S. president to speak to the British Parliament; endorse same-sex marriage; visit Hiroshima, Japan; as well as visit Cuba in 88 years and re-establish diplomatic relations.
38. Obama has a YouTube channel with over 289 million views and uploaded his weekly address to it, the first president to do so.
Here is his farewell video from the channel.
39. He was re-elected on November 6, 2012, and inaugurated on January 20, 2013, as required by the Constitution in a private ceremony in the White House(as it was a Sunday). The public ceremony at the capital occurred the next day.
40. During his first inauguration in 2009, a mistake was made in the wording so his oath of office was retaken in a ceremony the next day. When re-elected he became the second President in history to take the oath of office four times, after Franklin Roosevelt.
41. Other accomplishments of President Obama include the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009; Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell Repeal Act of 2010; American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012; ending the Iraqi War; and ordering the military operation that killed Osama bin Laden.
42. Barack Obama left office on January 20, 2017, after two terms as president. His presidential library will be built in Chicago to house his papers and memorabilia.
43. President Obama kept a carving of a wooden hand holding an egg on his desk. It is a Kenyan symbol of the fragility of life.
Personal and Random Facts
44. Obama is left-handed and can speak Spanish.
45. At just over six feet tall (6’1″) Obama is one of the tallest U.S. presidents and he can bench press an impressive 200 pounds.
46. He was given the code name “Renegade” by his Secret Service handlers.
47. Obama hasn’t liked ice cream since he worked at a Baskin-Robbins as a teenager. His favorite snack is chocolate-peanut protein bars and his favorite candy is Fran’s Smoked Salt Caramels.
48. His favorite drink is black forest berry iced tea. He doesn’t drink coffee and rarely drinks alcohol.
49. His favorite meal is his wife’s shrimp linguini. He loves to cook chili himself. Other favorite foods include cobbler and broccoli.
50. He had the tennis court at the White House adapted into a basketball court and still shoots many three-pointers. He also loves golf. He enjoys boxing matches and has a pair of red boxing gloves owned by Muhammad Ali.
51. He loves to play Scrabble and enjoys poker as well.
52. Other hobbies include reading and writing.
53. He collects Spider-Man and Conan the Barbarian comics. And he is influenced by Martin Luther King Jr., Mahatma Gandhi and Pablo Picasio, to name a few.
Barack Obama – Quick facts
|Full name||Barack Hussein Obama II|
|Born||August 4, 1961, Kapiolani Medical Center for Women and Children, Honolulu, Hawaii, United States.|
|Presidential term||January 20, 2009 – January 20, 2017, 9:00 AM PST|
Preceded by George W. Bush
Succeeded by Donald Trump
|Field of Work||Politics|
|Awards||Nobel Peace Prize (2009)|
Columbia University (BA)
Harvard University (JD)
|Parents||Ann Dunham and Barack Obama Sr.|
|Sibling||Maya Soetoro-Ng, Malik Obama, Auma Obama, George Obama, Bernard Obama, Abo Obama, Mark Okoth Obama Ndesandjo|
|Children||Malia Ann Obama, Sasha Obama|
- http://www.presidential-power.org/presidencies-timelines/barack-obama-presidency-timeline.htm http://www.justfactsdaily.com/factual-obamas-presidency/