Last updated on January 18th, 2018
#31. In the U.S. percentage of male and female smokers are quite close as compared to that in other countries.
#32. Nicotine reaches your brain in 10 seconds after your inhale the smoke. And it gets to every part of the body very quickly, too.
#33. If you are diabetic and smoke cigarettes, you would be amazed to know that sugar constitutes 20% of a cigarette.
#34. The immune system of a smoker is more active than that of a non-smoker. Only because, it has to work very hard.
#35. Smuggling is highly prevalent in the sale of cigarettes. According to WHO, 25% of the cigarettes sold, are smuggled.
#36. And 60% of the cigarettes in New York are black market cigarettes.
#37. Cigarettes are the world most popular placebo. They give the smokers many after-effects such as calmness, relaxation, alertness, stimulation, concentration. These effects become an expectation, and the smokers continue with their habit not realizing the health hazards associated with it.
#38. Popular toppings added to cigarettes are clove, licorice, orange oil, apricot stone, lime oil, lavender oil, dill seed oil, cocoa, carrot oil, mace oil, myrrh, beet juice, bay leaf, oak, rum, vanilla, and vinegar. These toppings add a distinct flavor to the cigarettes.
#39. Smoking is bad for your skin too. It causes wrinkles and is second only to sun to cause such an effect on your skin.
#40. Smoking also stains your fingers and teeth, and if you watched closely, it makes you stink as well.
#41. Smoking makes it difficult for you to run. Smoking affects your lungs and causes shortness of breath in you. Leukemia, cataract and pneumonia are common ill-effects of smoking.
#42. Tobacco is the single largest cause of premature deaths around the world. Even deaths caused by HIV, illegal drug use, motor vehicle injuries, suicides, murders and alcohol use, combined fall behind that cause by tobacco.
#43. And nicotine is as addictive as cocaine and heroin.
#44. Here, quitting is difficult. Only 12% of teen smokers were able to quit completely this bad habit.
#45. Smoking habit could be a valid reason for a prospective employer to turn down your resume.
#46. Remember: the only safer cigarette–is your last one.
#47. Tobacco was a part of ration of the soldiers in both World War 1 and World War 2.
#48. And nicotine is the world’s most addictive substance. And it makes women infertile when consumed in large quantities, consistently.
#49. Interestingly, studies reveal that Marijuana is less dangerous than alcohol and tobacco.
Quotes about Smoking
- Giving up smoking is the easiest thing in the world. I know because I’ve done it thousands of times. – Mark Twain
- People always come up to me and say that my smoking is bothering them… Well, it’s killing me! – Wendy Liebman
- So smoking is the perfect way to commit suicide without actually dying. I smoke because it’s bad, it’s really simple. – Damien Hirst
- I still believe that ‘No Smoking’ is one of my best performances. – John Abraham
- Often when a person can’t get past stress, she will turn to overeating, drinking or smoking, which can become a greater problem than the stress itself. – Marilu Henner
- It is better to not even try it than to endure the ramifications of either quitting smoking or dying. – Christy Turlington
- Ten to 20 years out, driving your car will be viewed as equivalently immoral as smoking cigarettes around other people is today. – Marc Andreessen
- If I start going back to church, I’d have to stop the smoking and drinking, and I wouldn’t be able to curse any more. – Katherine Heigl
- In Hollywood you can’t even smoke in a bar anymore and yet in the movies they’re always showing people smoking. I don’t get it. – Gerald McRaney
And our favorite
- I think the reason kids get into drugs and smoking is they don’t have anything to do. – Richard Thompson
Smoking in the NEWS
Dr Sheetu Singh, Assistant Professor at SMS Hospital and Medical College and Dr Nishtha Singh, a consultant at Asthma Bhawan, created a “Smoker Lung Model” (SLM) to show the side effects of smoking cigarette on human lungs. The model would also help convince patients of lung diseases, caused by smoking or pollutants, and suggest them preventive measures.
Read more here – http://www.thehindu.com/
Alabama air study: Workers harmed in restaurants that allow smoking
FLORENCE, Ala. – Workers in a Florence restaurant that allow smoking are exposed to a greater amount harmful air particles than those working in non-smoking environments, a new air quality study said.
Read more here – http://www.tbo.com/health/
Sitting is the new smoking
Most people don’t realize the damage they are doing when they sit for long periods, says ergonomist Brenda Mallat.
“We are a culture that sits way too much. That’s not what we’re designed to do,” she says.
Read more here – http://thesarniajournal.ca/
- Image Credit