Last updated on March 10th, 2017 at 07:08 am
18. Hindus all over the world, and especially in India celebrate the festival by exchanging gifts, wearing new clothes and preparing festive meals.
19. Idols of Lord Ganesh and Goddess Lakshmi are placed side by side for the prayers and rituals. Lord Ganesh is worshipped first followed by Lord Lakshmi.
20. Diwali is also celebrated in honor of the marriage of the Lord Vishnu and Goddess Lakshmi. And it also marks the triumph of the Lord Krishna over the demon Naraka. Hindus in Bengal honor the fearsome Goddess Kali on the occasion of Diwali.
21. The English city of Leicester hosts the biggest Diwali celebrations outside of India.
22. Diwali also plays a significant role in Sikhism. The foundation stone of the Golden Temple was laid on the day of Diwali in 1577.
23. “Shubh Deepavali” is a customary greeting associated with Diwali. It means, “Have an auspicious diwali”.
24. During the festival of Diwali, fireworks worth billions of dollars are ignited. These fireworks cause a lot of pollution, which is a particularly life hazard for those living in densely populated areas such as the cities of New Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata and Chennai in India. Fireworks produce a variety of pollutants affecting sound, light, air and water.
25. These fireworks cause health hazards such as respiratory issues, heart attacks, high blood pressure and many more. Moreover, fireworks during Diwali also cause safety hazards to the children handling them. Many of these firecrackers burst near children, causing them direct injuries. Hence, necessary precautions must be taken during the festival season, and a more environmentally friendly way of celebrating the festival should be adopted in the coming years.
26. Electricity consumption also rises significantly during the festival season, which results in heavy use of diesel generators to meet the demand for power. In turn, more pollution is caused due to the burning of fossil fuels.
27. The total cost of the firecrackers exploded in Diwali is estimated to be around one billion dollars. This is a significant amount of money, which could be used for other purposes like providing education and better health care facilities to those individuals who need them.