Last updated on July 8th, 2017 at 05:03 am
Andorra is a small principality located in the high mountains of the Pyrenees in southwestern Europe. The nation is a tourist hot spot. Let’s learn more about Andorra with some fascinating facts!
Interesting facts about Andorra’s history, people, tourism, and economy
1. Andorra is a landlocked country in southwestern Europe. It is officially the Principality of Andorra.
2. Andorra is among the safest countries in the world with almost zero pickpocketing, car theft and disorderly conduct incidents.
3. Andorra, according to some estimates, is the world’s 14th oldest country.
4. The offices of the government, court, and prison are housed in the “House of the Valleys,” which was built in 1580 in Andorra la Vella, the capital city of Andorra.
5. Andorra also witnesses the world’s most prestigious cycle race – the Tour De France.
6. The country’s military budget depends on voluntary donations.
7. The arrangement in the country is such that all able-bodied men must serve if called upon. Such men are called upon by means of an alarm in case of natural disasters or emergencies.
8. It is a principality (a territory ruled by a prince).
9. The capital city of Andorra, Andorra la Vella, is the highest capital city in Europe with an elevation of 1,023 meters.
10. It is also the only country in the world where Catalan is an official language.
11. Andorra is not an official member of the European Union.
12. According to the CIA, Andorra ranks eighth in overall life expectancy in the world, with Monaco at the top and Chad at the bottom of the list.
13. According to World Bank data, more than 10 million tourists arrived in Andorra last year. This fact signifies the importance of tourism in the country’s economy.
14. One theory suggests that Andorra may be derived from Arabic al-durra, meaning, “The Pearl.”
15. In 1933, Andorra was occupied by France.
16. The country served as an important smuggling route between Vichy, France, and Spain during World War II.
17. Andorra became a member of the UN and Council of Europe in 1993. The political system of the country was also modernized the same year.
18. Andorra has two princes. The president of France and the Bishop of Urgell serve as co-princes for the country. Note that it is the world’s only co-principality.
Continue reading on the next page…