Last updated on April 13th, 2019
23. Sex-selective abortion is also very common in Albania. In fact, the country is one of just two in the world to practice such a thing.
24. Tirana, the capital of Albania, is devoid of McDonalds restaurants, unlike many other European capital cities.
25. In Albania, people like to walk in the evening. Some of the roads in some towns are even closed for the local population to take strolls (safely).
26. There is a castle in the city of Berat, locally known as the kala, which was built in the 13th century.
27. An international airport in Albania—Nene Tereza—is named after Mother Teresa.
28. To say yes in Albanian, use the word ‘po’; and to say no, use the word ‘jo.’
29. The capital city of Albania, Tirana, is undergoing a facelift.
Albania – country at a glance
|Independence||28 November 1912 (from the Ottoman Empire)
|Total area||28,748 sq km|
|Population||3,047,987 (July 2017 est.)|
|Borders||Montenegro, Serbia (Kosovo), the Republic of Macedonia and Greece.|
|Religion||Islam and Christianity|
|Mean elevation||708 m|
|Life expectancy||78.5 years (2017)
Life expectancy at birth indicates the number of years a newborn infant would live if prevailing patterns of mortality at the time of its birth were to stay the same throughout its life.
|National anthem||"Hymni i Flamurit" (Hymn to the Flag)|
|Government type||parliamentary republic|
|Prime Minister||Edi Rama|
|National symbol||double-headed eagle|
|National colors||red, black|
|National holiday||Independence Day, 28 November (1912) also known as Flag Day|
|Natural resources||petroleum, natural gas, coal, bauxite, chromite, copper, iron ore, nickel, salt, timber, hydropower, arable land|
|Suffrage||18 years of age; universal|
|Climate||mild temperate; cool, cloudy, wet winters; hot, clear, dry summers; interior is cooler and wetter|
|Terrain||mostly mountains and hills; small plains along coast|
|Birth rate||13.2 births/1,000 population (2017 est.)|
|Death rate||6.8 deaths/1,000 population (2017 est.)|
|Sex ratio||0.98 male(s)/female (2017 est.)|
|Industries||food; footwear, apparel and clothing; lumber, oil, cement, chemicals, mining, basic metals, hydropower|
|Exports||$960.9 million (2017 est.)
apparel and clothing, footwear; asphalt, metals and metallic ores, crude oil; cement and construction materials, vegetables, fruits, tobacco
|Imports||$4.084 billion (2017 est.)
machinery and equipment, foodstuffs, textiles, chemicals
|GDP - per capita (PPP)||$12,500 (2017 est.)|
|Internet country code||.al|
|Time Zone||CET (UTC+1)
Summer (DST) CEST (UTC+2)
|Drives on the||Right|
|Data sources||CIA, Wikipedia|
|Table last updated||July 13, 2018|