Last updated on August 27th, 2019
Aruba, officially the Republic of Aruba, is an island and a constituent country of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in the southern Caribbean Sea. It has an area of 180 square km. Oranjestad is its capital and largest city. Dutch and Papiamento are the official languages of Aruba. Aruban Florin is its official currency. It has no land bordering countries.
36 Interesting facts about Aruba
1. The flag of Aruba, as well as its official anthem, “Aruba Dushi Tera,” were adopted on March 18, 1976.
2. The island is located 15 miles north of Venezuela.
3. Alonso de Ojeda became the first European to land on the island in 1499.
Flag of Aruba
4. Before the Europeans took control of the island, it (Aruba) was inhabited by its indigenous population.
5. Aruba is famous for its white-sand beaches.
6. The Aruba International Film Festival welcomes filmmakers and film enthusiasts from around the world. The festival is internationally renowned.
7. Aruba was declared a useless island because of its absence of natural resources, including precious metals.
8. For a period of 108 years between 1816 and 1924, the population of the island increased from a mere 1,732 to 9,021.
9. The first chapel of Aruba was built in 1750.
About Aruba’s favorite sports, people, tourism, and economy
10. Every year in June, Aruba hosts the Hi-Winds Amateur World Challenge windsurfing tournament. Without a doubt, Aruba is one of the most popular spots on earth for windsurfers.
11. The island has plenty of baseball lovers, as well. The tiny country has also produced some of the best athletes on the world stage.
12. People from more than 90 nationalities can be found in Aruba. Thus, you have a good chance of meeting someone from your country if you happen to visit this island nation.
13. By 1984, tourism took center stage of the Aruban economy, backed by consistent efforts from the government.
14. The GDP of the country more than doubled between 1987 and 1992 because of the improvements made in the tourism business.
15. 18 percent of Aruba’s land area lies within Arikok National Park.
Aruba on the map
16. Four countries, including Aruba, form the kingdom of the Netherlands. The other three countries are: Netherlands, Curacao and Saint Maarten.
17. The nationality of the citizens of Aruba is Dutch, which is also the nationality of the citizens of the other three countries in the Kingdom of the Netherlands.
18. Foreigners can obtain Dutch nationality by marrying Arubans (marriages for the sake of acquiring nationality are called “fake marriages”).
19. Fort Zoutman is Aruba’s oldest building. It was built in 1798 to protect Oranjestad from pirates.
20. The holiday of Carnaval is also an important one in Aruba.
Continue reading on the next page…