Last updated on December 12th, 2019
31. With an average speed of 25.2 Mbps, Delawareans enjoy the second-fastest internet speeds in the United States. At 28.1 megabits per second, the District of Columbia retains the top spot for the fastest wire line internet in the country.
32. The state’s geographic center is in Kent County, 11 mi (18 km) S of Dover.
33. Did you know that at 28 mi (45 km) Delaware has the 22nd-longest coastline among all U.S. states? Alaska, Florida, California, Hawaii, Louisiana, Texas, North Carolina, Oregon, Maine, and Massachusetts are the ten states with the longest coastline in the U.S., respectively.
34. Did you know that agriculture is state’s number 1 industry with a worth of $8 billion?
35. Did you know that the privately owned Wolf Cave in Beaver Valley is the only natural cave in the state?
36. Delaware’s State Song (designated the official state song in 1925), “Our Delaware” contains four verses. The first three verses honor the three counties of the state while the fourth praises the state.
37. About 1785 American inventor Oliver Evans invented and promoted the process of continuous process milling. He built the first automated flour mill on Red-Clay Creek near Newport, Delaware.
Delaware – Quick Facts and State Symbols
|Table last updated||May 14, 2019|
List Of 50 U.S. States And Their Capital
|State Size||Total (Land + Water): 2,489 sq miles; Land Only: 1,954 sq miles|
(Estimate July 1, 2018 from United States Census Bureau)
|Statehood||December 7, 1787|
|State rank by population||45th|
|State rank by date of formation||1st|
|State rank by area||49th|
|Number of Counties||3|
Complete list of 50 states and number of counties in each
|Bordering States||Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania|
|Highest Point||Near the|
447.85 ft (136.50468 m)
|Lowest point||Atlantic Ocean |
|Mean elevation||60 feet above sea level|
|Length||96 miles (154 km)|
|Width||30 miles (48 km)|
|Governor||John Carney (D)|
|Lieutenant Governor||Bethany Hall-Long (D)|
|State Motto||Liberty and Independence|
|State Nickname||Diamond State; First State|
|Noble prize winners||Daniel Nathans (Physiology or Medicine, 1978)|
|Famous people||Aubrey Plaza (Actress)|
Teri Polo (Actress)
|State Tree||American holly|
|State Bird||Blue Hen Chicken|
|State Bug||Lady bug|
|State Butterfly||Eastern tiger swallowtail|
|State Dog||Golden Retriever|
|State Flower||Peach Blossom|
|State Herb||Sweet goldenrod|
|State Marine animal||Horseshoe Crab|
|State Tall Ship||The Kalmar Nyckel|
|Longitude||75° 3′ W to 75° 47′ W|
|Latitude||38° 27′ N to 39° 50′ N|
|Time Zone||Eastern Time Zone|