Last updated on July 21st, 2023
38. American foxhounds living in urban environments (where there are scarce opportunities for chasing or hunting animals or following a scent) often take part in canine sports such as coursing ability tests, rally, tracking, etc. This is one effective way to keep the animals’ mind and body in good shape.
39. American (or other) foxhounds do not make good watchdogs and they do not have a naturally strong bark.
Their voice is melodious
40. American foxhounds are in fact trained to have a “voice” and this piece of information merits mention as one of the highly interesting facts about American foxhounds.
41. And the voice we are referring to is actually a shrill bay. This bay is often described as “musical” or “melodious” (although if you have an American foxhound as a pet, your neighbors may beg to differ!) and it originally helped the hunters to track the exact location of the dogs.
42. The attractive coat of an American foxhound lies close to the body and comprises of short and hard-textured hairs. The hard texture of the coat protects the dogs from prickly thorns etc. of the underbrush they course through during hunting expeditions.
Love to eat
43. The thing is American foxhounds simply love to eat and they will eat more than is necessary and will get obese when their diet is not well supervised. According to AKC, free-feeding is a strict no-no with American foxhounds and adult dogs of the breed should receive no more than two measured feedings every day.
44. Now, as for the reproductive behavior of the American foxhound, the dogs normally mate in early spring and the average gestation period of a female dog is approx. 55-65 days.
45. An American foxhound litter on average contains 5-7 puppies.
46. The babies start experimenting with different foods from when they are 3-4 weeks old, although they are fully weaned only after 8-12 weeks after birth.
American Foxhounds weren’t bred to be house pets, but they make perfect furry friends with their gentle and friendly personality. Besides, they are healthy, require little care, and will impress you with their hunting prowess if you are an avid hunter.