Last updated on April 18th, 2019
10 Facts About The Taiwan Flag
30. The KMT party flag has now become the Taiwan flag, which represents a blue sky with a white sun.
31. The twelve rays of sun represent 12 Chinese hours of the time clock, and the 12 months of the year.
32. The red on the Taiwanese flag symbolizes the revolutionaries and the blood they shed to create the ROC (also known as Taiwan).
33. The Taiwanese flag was used in mainland China, as well as by the KMT in the 1900s.
34. This flag became the official flag of Taiwan in 1928.
35. The design of the Taiwan flag was created by Sun Yat Sen and Lu Hao Tung.
36. The Taiwan flag is sometimes referred to as the flag of the ROC.
37. To pronounce the name of the flag, use these words: “Zhonghua Minguo Guogi”
38. As China does not recognize Taiwan’s independence, the Taiwan flag is not allowed to be used during sporting events. The Taipei flag is replaced during these occasions.
39. The colours of the flag are symbolic of the three principles of the people of Taiwan. This is the political policy of making China free, prosperous, and powerful. These principles were developed by Sun Yat Sen, who is the father for the nation as regarded by China and Taiwan. The blue color stands for nationalism and liberty. The red color stands for livelihood and togetherness. The white color stands for democracy and equality.
Although Taiwan operates as an independent country, many countries (including the U.S.) do not officially recognize it as one. The People’s Republic of China considers Taiwan a breakaway province of China, and countries who wish to maintain diplomatic relations with China have had to sever their formal relations with Taiwan (infoplease.com.)
Taiwan – country at a glance
|Largest City||New Taipei
|Area||total: 35,980 sq km
land: 32,260 sq km
water: 3,720 sq km
note: includes the Pescadores, Matsu, and Quemoy islands
|Population||23,580,712 (2022 est.)|
|Population growth rate||0.11% (2020 est.)|
|Land Borders||Island country|
|Currency||New Taiwan dollar (NT$) (TWD)|
|Literacy rate||98.5% (2014)|
|Life expectancy||81.16 years (2022)
Life expectancy at birth indicates the number of years a newborn infant would live if prevailing patterns of mortality at the time of its birth were to stay the same throughout its life.
|Government type||semi-presidential republic|
|National symbols||white, 12-rayed sun on blue field|
|National colors||blue, white, red|
|National anthem||"Zhonghua Minguo guoge" (National Anthem of the Republic of China)|
|Natural resources||small deposits of coal, natural gas, limestone, marble, asbestos, arable land|
|Highest point||Yu Shan 3,952 m|
|Lowest point||South China Sea 0 m|
|Mean elevation||1,150 m|
|Terrain||eastern two-thirds mostly rugged mountains; flat to gently rolling plains in west
|Climate||tropical; marine; rainy season during southwest monsoon (June to August); persistent and extensive cloudiness all year|
|Birth rate||7.39 births/1,000 population (2022 est.)|
|Death rate||7.89 deaths/1,000 population (2022 est.)|
|Sex ratio||0.97 male(s)/female (2022 est.)|
|Industries||electronics, communications and information technology products, petroleum refining, chemicals, textiles, iron and steel, machinery, cement, food processing, vehicles, consumer products, pharmaceuticals|
|Exports||$388.49 billion (2019 est.)
integrated circuits, office machinery/parts, computers, refined petroleum, liquid crystal displays (2019)
|Imports||$308.744 billion (2019 est.)
integrated circuits, crude petroleum, photography equipment, natural gas, refined petroleum (2019)
|GDP - per capita (PPP)||$24,502 (2018 est.)|
|Time Zone||National Standard Time (UTC+8)|
|Internet country code||.tw|
|Drives on the||Right|
|Table last updated||August 6, 2022|