Last updated on June 29th, 2020
5 Reggae Music Facts
51. Bob Marley’s “Legend” is the highest selling reggae record of all time.
52. Worth a whopping $22 million, Shaggy is the richest living reggae artist. If Bob Marley were still alive, analysts predict that he would be worth $130 million.
53. Reggae was developed almost by accident in Kingston after rocksteady, which came about after ska.
54. Since its invention, Reggae has been a vessel for musicians to express political and social views. It has been tied to the Rastafari movement for many years.
55. There are more than 200 reggae festivals around the world each year.
Map of Jamaica
5 Fun Facts About Jamaica for Kids
56. In Jamaica, they drive on the left side of the road.
57. There are only 8 species of snake indigenous to Jamaica and none of them are venomous.
58. Port Royal in Jamaica used to be called ‘The wickedest city on Earth’.
59. Ian Flemming wrote all 14 James Bond novels while he was living in Jamaica.
60. The second main indigenous people of Jamaica were the Arawak. They called this island “Xaymaca” which means “Land of Wood and Water”.
Jamaica – country at a glance
|Independence||6 August 1962 (from the UK)
|National Anthem||"Jamaica, Land We Love"|
|Total area||10,991 sq km|
|Population||2,808,570 (July 2020 est.)|
|Population growth rate||-0.07% (2020 est.)|
|Suffrage||18 years of age; universal|
|Prime Minister||Andrew Holness|
|National symbols||green-and-black streamertail (bird), Guaiacum officinale (Guaiacwood)|
|National colors||green, yellow, black|
|Borders||No land borders (Island country.)|
|Currency||Jamaican dollar (JMD)|
|GDP - per capita (PPP)||$9,200 (2017 est.)|
|Industries||tourism, bauxite/alumina, agricultural-processing, light manufactures, rum, cement, metal, paper, chemical products, telecommunications|
|Exports||$1.296 billion (2017 est.)
alumina, bauxite, sugar, rum, coffee, yams, beverages, chemicals, apparel, mineral fuels
|Imports||$5.151 billion (2017 est.)
food and other consumer goods, industrial supplies, fuel, parts and accessories of capital goods, machinery and transport equipment, construction materials
|Life expectancy at birth||75.2 years (2020)|
|Birth rate||16.1 births/1,000 population (2020 est.)|
|Death rate||7.5 deaths/1,000 population (2020 est.)|
|Sex ratio||0.98 male(s)/female (2020 est.)|
|Government type||parliamentary democracy (Parliament) under a constitutional monarchy; a Commonwealth realm|
|Natural resources||bauxite, gypsum, limestone|
|Mean elevation||18 m|
|Lowest point||Caribbean Sea 0 m|
|Highest point||Blue Mountain Peak 2,256 m|
|Terrain||mostly mountains, with narrow, discontinuous coastal plain|
|Climate||tropical; hot, humid; temperate interior|
|Internet country code||.jm|
|Drives on the||Left|
|Table last updated||March 24, 2020|