Last updated on September 6th, 2019
45. It would be interesting to note that; in the first half of 2005, the number of deaths in Japan exceeded the number of births.
46. Japan experiences approximately 1500 earthquakes every year.
47. Rice is commonly eaten in Japan as a major part of their diet. Do not be amused if you find Japanese eating rice even in breakfast.
48. Coffee is extremely popular in Japan and is imported in a large number from Jamaica.
49. Japan is the largest automobile producer in the world.
50. More than 50,000 people in Japan are at least 100 years old.
Interesting facts about mobile phones, punctual railways, chopsticks, Tsunami, etc
51. The world’s oldest company operated in Japan between 578 AD and 2006.
52. Japan has the world most punctual railways. Their average delay is 18 seconds.
53. Another interesting fact about Japan is that 90% of the mobile phones used are waterproof.
54. Cleaning of classrooms and cafeteria is a shared responsibility among Japanese students and teachers.
55. Every year, the Japanese use almost 24 billion chopsticks.
56. Japanese have a tradition of visiting KFC on Christmas Eve.
57. Outside of Japan, the Japanese are found in the majority in Brazil.
58. Over 2000 people committed suicide in Japan by jumping in a volcano called Mount Mihara. The Japanese authorities have now constructed a fence around it to stop these suicides.
59. Hikikomori – a social situation in Japan – where men lock themselves in their bedrooms for years is estimated to be affecting at least 1 million Japanese men.
60. Japan’s Tsunami hit areas in 2011 were found to have ancient stone tablets with inscriptions “do not build your homes below this point”.
Atomic weapon attacks, national anthem, Internet usage, etc
61. Japanese can say “Sorry” in 20 different ways.
62. Japan is the only country in the world that suffered from an atomic weapon attack.
63. Tokyo, the capital of Japan, is one of the most expensive cities to live in.
64. Kimigayo is Japan’s national anthem. It is the world’s shortest anthem with a length of 11 measures and 32 characters.
65. Japan boasts the longest reigning monarchy in the world.
66. Blowing your nose in Japan is considered inappropriate.
67. Average monthly disposable salary after tax in Japan is $2,782.
68. There are 109,252,912 Internet users in Japan. This is 3.74% of the world’s share of total Internet users.
69. The average height of men in Japan is 171.4 cm.
70. Almost 25% of Japan’s population is over 65 years of age.
71. Japan’s is slightly smaller than California in terms of total area.
Japan – the country at a glance
|Capital City||Tokyo (35°41′N 139°46′E)|
|Table last updated||May 18, 2019|
|Largest City||Tokyo (35°41′N 139°46′E)|
|Total area||377,915 sq km|
|Population||126,168,156 (July 2018 est.)|
|Population growth rate||-0.24% (2018 est.)|
|Borders||North Korea, Russia and South Korea|
|Currency||Yen (¥) / En 円 (JPY)|
|Highest point||Mount Fuji 3,776 m|
|Lowest point||Hachiro-gata -4 m|
|Mean elevation||438 m|
|Life expectancy at birth||85.5 years (est. 2018)|
|GDP - per capita (PPP)||$42,900 (2017 est.)|
|Climate||varies from tropical in south to cool temperate in north|
|Terrain||mostly rugged and mountainous|
|Natural resources||negligible mineral resources, fish|
|Government type||parliamentary constitutional monarchy|
|Prime Minister||Shinzō Abe|
|National anthem||"Kimigayo" (The Emperor"s Reign)|
|National symbol||red sun disc and chrysanthemum|
|National colors||red and white|
|Suffrage||18 years of age; universal|
|Birth rate||7.5 births/1,000 population (2018 est.)|
|Death rate||9.9 deaths/1,000 population (2018 est.)|
|Sex ratio||0.94 male(s)/female (2018 est.)|
|Industries||among world's largest and most technologically advanced producers of motor vehicles, electronic equipment, machine tools, steel and nonferrous metals, ships, chemicals, textiles, processed foods|
|Exports||$688.9 billion (2017 est.)|
motor vehicles 14.9%; iron and steel products 5.4%; semiconductors 5%; auto parts 4.8%; power generating machinery 3.5%; plastic materials 3.3% (2014 est.)
|Imports||$644.7 billion (2017 est.)|
petroleum 16.1%; liquid natural gas 9.1%; clothing 3.8%; semiconductors 3.3%; coal 2.4%; audio and visual apparatus 1.4% (2014 est.)
|Time Zone||JST (UTC+9)|
|Internet country code||.jp|
|Drives on the||Left|
|Data sources||1. Central Intelligence Agency|