Last updated on March 19th, 2020
21. Monaco was never a part of France despite its long history and geographical intimacy with France.
22. If you were a resident of Monaco, but not born there, you would be called Monacoian.
23. The second child of the Prince of Monaco and an American model (married in 1956) is the present ruler of the principality.
24. To the eastern side of the country lies Italy at a distance of 8 kilometers.
Monaco on the map
25. The economy of this tiny nation is supported by the revenue generated from radio, television, and the casino and state monopolies on stamps and tobacco. Banking and financial activities also support the nation’s economy.
26. There are a large number of security cameras throughout the principality to discourage criminal activity.
27. With some land reclamation from the Mediterranean Sea, the size of the principality has grown by at least 20%.
28. Education is compulsory for kids between the ages of 6 and 16.
29. The death rate is more than the birth rate in the principality(2017 est.)
30. In 1993, Monaco became a member of the United Nations.
31. The country sees more than 1.5 million visitors each year.
32. Remember: Monaco is a city state. It does not have a separate capital. This is mainly due to its small size.
33. Brewery, chocolate factory and flour mill are the first industries that developed in Monaco at the beginning of the twentieth century.
34. Note that Monaco’s flag is similar to that of Indonesia with the only difference in the size of the flag. Indonesian flag is a bit wider than that of the Monaco’s.
35. Did you know that Monaco almost has a zero unemployment rate? The country is also void of any poor people.
36. Monaco has the highest life expectancy (89.5 years) in the world. The country with lowest life expectancy is Chad (50.2 years).
37. Natives of Monaco are called Monegasque. It is interesting fact to note that despite its small size, the country is home to a majority of foreign population. The natives of the land are in minority here. The largest population in Monaco is of the French, followed by Italian and Britishers.
38. AS Monaco FC, Monaco national football team, Monaco national rugby union team – are the sports team from the world’s second smallest country.
Monaco – country at a glance
|Capital City||Monaco (city-state)
|Largest City||Monte Carlo|
|Land Area||2 sq km|
|Population||39,000 (2019 est.)|
|Languages spoken||Monegasque, Occitan, English and Italian.|
|National Anthem||"A Marcia de Muneghu" (The March of Monaco)|
|Borders||France (land border)|
|Currency||Euro (€) (EUR)|
|Life expectancy||89.3 Years (2020)
Life expectancy at birth indicates the number of years a newborn infant would live if prevailing patterns of mortality at the time of its birth were to stay the same throughout its life. Source - CIA
|Climate||Mediterranean with mild, wet winters and hot, dry summers
|Terrain||hilly, rugged, rocky
|Lowest point||Mediterranean Sea 0 m|
|Highest point||Chemin des R?voires on Mont Agel 162 m|
|Suffrage||18 years of age; universal|
|Birth rate||6.4 births/1,000 population (2020 est.)|
|Death rate||10.8 deaths/1,000 population (2020 est.)|
|Sex ratio||0.941 male(s)/female (2020 est.)|
|Government type||constitutional monarchy
|Minister of State||Serge Telle|
|National holiday||National Day (Saint Rainier's Day), 19 November (1857)|
|National symbols||red and white lozenges (diamond shapes)|
|National colors||red, white|
|Industries||banking, insurance, tourism, construction, small-scale industrial and consumer products
|Exports||$964.6 million (2017 est.)|
|Imports||$1.371 billion (2017 est.)|
|GDP - per capita (PPP)||$115,700 (2015 est.)|
|Time Zone||CET (UTC+1)
Summer (DST) - CEST (UTC+2)
|Internet country code||.mc|
|Drives on the||Right|
|Table last updated||March 26, 2020|