Last updated on March 19th, 2020
About Qatar dress
17. The “Thoub” is the traditional costume worn by Qatari men. The Thoub is a long white shirt that is worn over boxer style shorts or long white cotton trousers. As a matter of pride, all Thoubs must be immaculately laundered.
18. Qatari women wear a long black cloak known as an Abaya. Traditional Qatari females wear a djelabia or a dress under the cloak.
19. Male tourists are not expected to wear vests and shorts. Female tourists are not expected to walk around in short-sleeved dresses or mini-skirts.
20. Topless sunbathing is not allowed in Qatar. Swimmers and sunbathers are encouraged to wear a long tee-shirt over their costume.
21. Qatari businessmen rarely wear a traditional business suit. Male office workers wear light-weight trousers, a long-sleeved shirt and a necktie.
Qatar on the map
Qatar’s top tourist attractions
22. Leading tourist attractions include Aladdin’s Kingdom also known as The Entertainment City. The Msheireb Enrichment Center is an amazing and informative floating museum. Other famous tourist attractions include The Doha Corniche Park and the picturesque market known as the Souk Waqif.
23. The small village Al Thakira is home to many unusual fish and sea slugs. Nature lovers like to go snorkelling in the Mangrove Swamps. The Al Thakira Nature Reserve is widely regarded as a national treasure.
24. Qatar offers little, if any night life. Tourists looking for live music, parties and bars should head for Doha, the capital city of Qatar.
25. The Sheikh Faisal Bin Qassim Al Thani Museum is one of the largest private museums of its type. The museum is ideal for art lovers, historians, holidaymakers and culture vultures.
26. The range of rocky hills known as Al Jassasiya is renowned for its pre-historic carvings. The rocky hills are nestled between the villages of Al Huwailah and Fuwairit.
Facts about Qatar for Kids
27. Qatar State was protected by Great Britain until 1971, when it became independent. In 1995, Crown Prince Khalifa announced freedom of the press and allowed women to vote.
28. Qatar is home to one hundred and eighty different nationalities.
29. Families can enjoy a picnic or play in one of the many well-kept parks, take a Dhow ride or go on a family camp in the desert.
Qatar – the land of opportunity is a tourist destination in the Emirates. Middle East holidays are popular and the diverse Middle Eastern culture is shaped by many factors. We hope you have enjoyed reading our facts about Qatar and we hope you have learned something new and interesting.
Qatar – country at a glance
|Independence||3 September 1971 (from the UK)|
|Total area||11,586 sq km|
|Population||2,444,174 (July 2020 est.)|
|Life expectancy at birth|| 79.4 years (2020)|
Life expectancy at birth indicates the number of years a newborn infant would live if prevailing patterns of mortality at the time of its birth were to stay the same throughout its life.
|Climate||arid; mild, pleasant winters; very hot, humid summers|
|Terrain||mostly flat and barren desert|
|Mean elevation||28 m|
|Lowest point||Persian Gulf 0 m|
|Highest point||Tuwayyir al Hamir 103 m|
|Natural resources||petroleum, natural gas, fish|
|Birth rate||9.3 births/1,000 population (2020 est.)|
|Death rate||1.6 deaths/1,000 population (2020 est.)|
|Sex ratio||3.39 male(s)/female (2020 est.)|
|Government type||absolute monarchy|
|Emir||Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani|
|Prime Minister||Khalid bin Khalifa bin Abdul Aziz Al Thani|
|National symbol||a maroon field surmounted by a white serrated band with nine white points; national colors: maroon, white|
|National anthem||"Al-Salam Al-Amiri" (The Peace for the Anthem)|
|Industries||liquefied natural gas, crude oil production and refining, ammonia, fertilizers, petrochemicals, steel reinforcing bars, cement, commercial ship repair|
|Exports||$67.5 billion (2017 est.)|
liquefied natural gas (LNG), petroleum products, fertilizers, steel
|Imports||$30.77 billion (2017 est.)|
machinery and transport equipment, food, chemicals
|GDP - per capita (PPP)||$124,100 (2017 est.)|
|Time Zone||AST (UTC+3)|
|Internet country code||.qa|
|Drives on the||Right|
|Table last updated||March 25, 2020|