Last updated on May 3rd, 2019
Interesting facts about Venus
17. Venus is named after the Roman goddess of love and beauty (the only planet to be named after a female figure.)
18. A day longer than a year: Venus has the longest day of any planet in the Solar System. It takes 243 Earth days for Venus to rotate on its own axis. Moreover, it takes 225 Earth days for Venus to complete one revolution around the Sun.
19. Venus is also referred to as sister planet to Earth (because of the similarity in their mass and size.)
20. The temperature variation on Venus is minimal during day and night because of the planet’s slow rotation.
21. Atmospheric pressure on the surface of Venus is 92 times greater than that on the Earth. This intense pressure on the planet does not allow any visiting spacecraft to stay on its surface for long – not just more than 2 hours. Learn more about the Venere probes sent by the Soviet Union.
22. Venera 3 was the first man-made spacecraft to land on Venus in 1966.
23. Transit – a phenomenon of the passing of Venus across the face of the Sun from the perspective of an observer on Earth happens in pairs, and each pair is separated by at least a hundred years. The first transit was observed in 1631 and 1639 and then it was observed in 1761 and 1769, followed by 1874 and 1882.
24. A hole in Venus’ ionosphere (a layer of the atmosphere filled with charged particles) was noticed by Pioneer Venus Orbiter. In this region, no density was experienced. And this region was never sighted before until recently.
25. The day Friday is ruled by Venus.
26. If one were to visit the planet, they would not be able to see the Sun or the Earth because of the dense clouds that always cover the skies of the planet.
27. Venus is almost the shape of a perfect sphere, which also means that there is not much difference in its equatorial and polar diameters.
Venus – Quick facts
|Date of discovery||Unknown|
|Discovered By||Known by the Ancients|
|Orbit Size Around Sun||108,209,475 km|
|Mean Orbit Velocity||126,074 km/h|
|Equatorial Inclination||177.3 degrees|
|Equatorial Radius||6,051.8 km|
|Equatorial Circumference||38,024.6 km|
|Volume||928,415,345,893 cubic km|
|Density||5.243 g per centimeter cube|
|Surface Area||460,234,317 square kilometer|
|Surface Gravity||8.87 meter per second square|
|Escape Velocity||37,296 kilometer per hour|
|Surface Temperature||462 degree Celsius|
|Atmospheric Constituents||Carbon dioxide and Nitrogen|