Afghanistan, officially the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan, is a landlocked country located within South Asia and Central Asia. By area it is the 41st largest country in the world. Afghanistan is famous for its pomegranates in Asia. Let’s explore more about this war torn country with some interesting facts.
26 interesting facts about Afghanistan
1. Kabul, the capital of Afghanistan is its largest city.
3. The people of Afghanistan are called Afghans and their currency is Afghanis. Most of the time, people get confused between the use of these two terms.
4. Agriculture is the main source of income for Afghans. Afghanistan is also rich in natural resources like natural gas and oil.
5. “Buzkashi” is Afghanistan’s national game. Players in two teams try to catch a goat while riding a horse. This game is being played for centuries and is a tough sport.
6. Afghanistan became independent on August 19, 1919. They fought three wars with Britain after which they declared themselves independent. They were not directly ruled by the British but their foreign affairs were influenced by the United Kingdom.
7. Afghanistan has been in news more than any country in the last decade.
8. New Year is celebrated by Afghans on 21st They call it “Nawroz”. It is a pre-Islamic festival which is celebrated by a gathering of thousands of travelers from across the Afghanistan to the city of Mazar-e-Sharif. There is a mosque in the center of the city. It is known as the Blue Mosque or ‘the Shrine of Hazrat Ali’ the cousin and son-in-law of the Islamic prophet Muhammad (P.B.U.H).
9. Mobile phone coverage is available in more than 90% of the country. Mobile phones are status symbols.
10. They celebrate poetry night on Thursdays in the western city of Herat. People of all age groups gather there to share modern and ancient verses of poetry, and indulge in some nice food along with some sweet tea.
11. Alexander the Great captured the city of Herat in 330BC and built its ancient citadel. Alexander had a son with a beautiful woman from the province of Balkh in Afghanistan.
12. Arnold Schwarzenegger is the poster boy in many of the muscle building centers in Afghanistan. They say he (Arnold Schwarzgenegger) looks like an Afghan.
13. Kandahar airfield is the busiest single runway airstrip in the world. Here NATO installed its first complete air traffic capability in a non-NATO country.