Last updated on July 8th, 2017 at 10:40 am
28. Baku is also interpreted as “windy city” or “city on a hill”.
29. Offshore oil: Baku is also home to the world’s first offshore oil platform – Oil Rocks.
30. Relation with other countries: Azerbaijan maintains diplomatic relations with 158 countries. And it is also a member of the United Nations, IMF, and NATO.
Map of Azerbaijan
31. Education: The first university in the East also lies in Baku, Azerbaijan.
32. Being a guest in Azerbaijan: Hospitality in Azerbaijan is not just important but a valuable characteristic of the national culture. Food and shelter will be offered to the guest even at the expense of the host’s needs.
33. Cotton and silk from Azerbaijan are known all over the world since ages.
34. Country’s width and length: Azerbaijan is 400 kilometers from north to south and 500 kilometers from east to west.
35. The longest river: The longest river is Kura measuring 1,515 kilometers in length.
36. Extreme temperatures: At its extreme, temperatures in Azerbaijan can reach a maximum of 46 °C, and in winters can get harsh at -33 °C. These temperatures were observed in Julfa and Ordubad.
37. Most important drink of the nation: Tea takes a special place in Azerbaijan’s customs and traditions. It is part of almost all social occasions and is served in countless trimmings. Jam, mint, rosewater, lemon are often used to give that extra rich flavor to the tea.
38. National Animal: The horse is the national animal of Azerbaijan, and the Karabakh horse (rare and beautiful) is especially known for its agility, endurance, and intelligence.
39. Crude oil: As of 2016, Azerbaijan produced a whopping 842,000 barrels of crude oil per day. With 10,250,000 barrels of crude oil produced in 2015, Russia tops the list of the nations producing the highest number of barrels of crude oil per day. The United States is at the number three spot. See the full list here.
40. According to a source, Azerbaijan exported wine worth $3.5 million in 2016.
41. Euro and Manat: Azerbaijan’s national currency (Manat) resembles the Euro in color, font, and size.
42. Celebrations time: Novruz (March 20-24) is the oldest national holiday of Azerbaijan. It is also celebrated in 11 other countries including – Iran, Tajikistan, Afghanistan, Kazakhstan, Albania, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Georgia and Autonomous region of Kurdistan.
43. Shia and Sunni Muslims: The Republic of Azerbaijan has the second highest percentage of Shia Muslim population (Shia – 85%, Sunni – 15%) in the world after Iran.
44. Azerbaijan has two cultural UNESCO World Heritage sites – Gobustan Rock Art Cultural Landscape (2007) and Walled City of Baku with the Shirvanshah’s Palace and Maiden Tower (2000).
Continue reading on the next page…