Last updated on April 6th, 2019
60. Mango is India’s national fruit and Peacock is its national bird.
61. The first mining of diamonds was done in India.
62. India was the first to detect water on the Moon. India’s first Moon Satellite Chandrayaan-1 took the honor.
63. “Amar Sonar Bangla” the national anthem of Bangladesh is written by Rabindranath Tagore of Indian origin.
64. The Taj Mahal, one of the Seven Wonders of the World, is in India.
65. As per world banks report, there is 23% of forest area in India.
Some fun facts
66. You would be amazed to know that the concept of shampoo was first invented in India when herbs were used for strengthening hair.
67. India is the largest gold buyer in the world while the United States holds the biggest gold reserves.
68. Adolf Hitler – the dictator – was a big fan of Major Dhyanchand. He even offered him German citizenship when India defeated Germany in 1936 in the Berlin Olympic Finals.
69. Cricket is India’s most popular sport while field hockey is another sport where the countrymen excel. Did you know that the India men’s national field hockey team won six consecutive gold medals in Olympics between 1928 and 1956?
70. There is only one-time zone across all of India.
71. It is illegal to carry Indian currency, Rupee, outside of India.
72. While tea is the most popular beverage in India, the country is also its largest producer in the world.
India – country at a glance
|Country Name||Republic of India; Bharat Ganrajya|
|Table last updated||May 04, 2019|
|Independence||15 August 1947 (from the UK)|
|Constitution||The Constitution of India came into force on 26th January 1950.|
|Capital City||New Delhi
(28.6139° N, 77.2090° E)
(19.0760° N, 72.8777° E)
|Area||3,287,263 sq km|
|Population||1,296,834,042 (July 2018 est.)|
|Most populous state||Uttar Pradesh.
Population: 223,897,418 (2017 estimate)
States and their capitals
Union Territories and their capitals
|President||Ram Nath Kovind
List of Presidents of India Since 26 January 1950
|Prime Minister||Narendra Modi
Complete list of Prime Ministers of India since 1947
|National Anthem||"Jana-Gana-Mana" (Thou Art the Ruler of the Minds of All People)|
|National holiday||26th January (Republic Day);
2nd October (Gandhi Jayanti; Mahatma Gandhi's Birthday);
15th August (Independence Day)
|Religion||Hinduism, Islam, Christianity, Buddhism, Sikhism|
|Borders||China, Pakistan, Nepal, Bhutan, Bangladesh, Myanmar|
|Currency||Indian rupee (₹) (INR)
List of Countries, Their Currencies And Symbols
|Administrative Divisions||29 States and 7 Union Territories.|
|Life Expectancy||total population: 69.1 years|
|Industries||textiles, chemicals, food processing, steel, transportation equipment, cement, mining, petroleum, machinery, software, pharmaceuticals|
|Exports||$304.1 billion (2017 est.)
petroleum products, precious stones, vehicles, machinery, iron and steel, chemicals, pharmaceutical products, cereals, apparel
|Imports||$452.2 billion (2017 est.)
crude oil, precious stones, machinery, chemicals, fertilizer, plastics, iron and steel
|GDP - per capita (PPP)||$7,200 (2017 est.)|
|Birth rate||18.7 births/1,000 population (2018 est.)|
|Death rate||7.3 deaths/1,000 population (2018 est.)|
|Sex ratio||1.08 male(s)/female (2018 est.)|
|Government type||federal parliamentary republic|
|National symbol(s)||the Lion Capital of Ashoka, which depicts four Asiatic lions standing back to back mounted on a circular abacus, is the official emblem; Bengal tiger; lotus flower;|
|National colors||saffron, white, green|
|Languages spoken||Hindi 41%, Bengali 8.1%, Telugu 7.2%, Marathi 7%, Tamil 5.9%, Urdu 5%, Gujarati 4.5%, Kannada 3.7%, Malayalam 3.2%, Odia 3.2%, Punjabi 2.8%, Assamese 1.3%, Maithili 1.2%, other 5.9% (CIA)|
|National language||There is no national language in India|
|Official languages||There are 22 official languages designated by the Constitution of India. They are:
1. Assamese, 2. Bengali, 3. Bodo, 4. Dogri,5. Gujarati, 6. Hindi, 7. Kannada, 8. Kashmiri, 9. Konkani, 10. Maithili, 11. Malayalam, 12. Manipuri, 13. Marathi, 14. Nepali, 15. Odia, 16. Punjabi, 17. Sanskrit, 18. Santali, 19. Sindhi, 20. Tamil, 21. Telugu, 22. Urdu
|Terrain||upland plain (Deccan Plateau) in south, flat to rolling plain along the Ganges, deserts in west, Himalayas in north|
|Coastline||7,517 km encompassing the mainland, Lakshadweep Islands, and the Andaman & Nicobar Islands.|
|Natural resources||coal (fourth-largest reserves in the world), iron ore, manganese, mica, bauxite, rare earth elements, titanium ore, chromite, natural gas, diamonds, petroleum, limestone, arable land|
|Time Zone||IST (UTC+05:30)|
|Internet country code||.in|
|Drives on the||Left|
|Data sources||1. Central Intelligence Agency
3. Know India
4. New Delhi Airport