Last updated on April 7th, 2018
Japan, is an island country in East Asia. It is often called the “Land of the Rising Sun”. Japan is a member of the UN, the G7, the G8, and the G20 and is considered a great power. Let’s learn more about this technologically advanced nation with some interesting facts.
71 Interesting facts about Japan
1. There are a total of 19 Nobel Prize winners from Japan.
2. The worlds shortest escalator is in Japan. And yes, it is used as well.
3. Fleeing motorists in Japan are shot by police with paintballs. This technique helps them to identify the defaulters easily.
4. Train stations in Japan have staff people to shove people into the trains because there are so much of passengers.
5. Eating while walking is considered rude in Japan.
6. The unemployment rate in Japan is only 4%.
7. Japanese farmers produce square watermelons for the sake of ease of storing.
8. Famously, Japan is the world’s largest creditor nation.
9. Up to 60% of the animated shows are produced in Japan, making it the leading country to do so.
10. 98% of adoption in Japan are of male adults. Japanese do this to keep their family business in their family.
Flag of Japan
Facts about suicides and homicides in Japan, fish market, industries, Japanese cuisines etc
11. Unfortunately, the suicide rate is very high in the country.
12. However, only 2 gun-related homicides are reported in Japan per year.
13. One interesting fact about Japan is that if you encounter raised floor in some part of the building, it indicates that you should remove your footwear there.
14. Tsukiji fish market of Japan is the world’s largest wholesale fish and seafood market.
15. ‘Nippon’ or ‘Nihon’ is the Japanese name for Japan. It means “the sun’s origin”. It is often translated as ‘the Land of the Rising Sun’.
16. Mount Fuji is the highest point in Japan, which stands at 3,776 m.
17. Almost three-quarters of Japan’s land cannot be utilized for industrial, residential or farming purposes.
18. Japan is known as an industrial nation. It produces world-class machines, electronics and vehicles.
19. Robotics is the main sphere of talent in Japan. They are known the world over for ASIMO – the world’s most advanced humanoid robot.
20. Sushi, Sashimi and Tempura are among well know Japanese cuisines around the world.
Map of Japan
Facts about literacy rate, volcanoes, national sport, diseases etc
21. The literacy rate in Japan is 99% for the population over 15 years of age. This means almost all the people in Japan can read and write.
22. There are 118 volcanoes in Japan. This number outlasts volcanoes in any other country and makes 10% of world’s total number of volcanoes.
23. The life expectancy of the Japanese is 83 years, which is more than that of the Americans, which is 81 years.
24. Honshu, Hokkaido, Kyushu, and Shikoku are four main islands of Japan. The total number of islands in the country is 6852.
25. With more than 127 million people as of July 2012, Japan has the tenth largest population in the world.
26. Tokyo – the capital of Japan – is the largest city in the world by land area, population and density.
27. Sumo wrestling is Japan’s national sport.
28. Baseball is Japan’s most popular spectator sport.
29. The beverage of choice in Japan is o-cha (お茶; green tea), which is served hot or cold depending on the time of year.
30. The four big diseases caused due to pollution in Japan are Itai-itai, Minimata, Niigata Minimata, Yokkaichi Asthma.
Continue reading on the next page…