Last updated on July 26th, 2021
54. Marriage is considered an important element of one’s life in Afghanistan. Divorce is rare and is not much welcomed in society.
55. Polygamy is permissible in Afghanistan however it is rare. Many of the marriages are consummated between cousins.
56. Marriages are three-day lavish ceremonies during which a marriage contract is signed and the couple is brought together.
57. Living together in a common house is encouraged but never forced. Depending on the financial condition or personal preference, the sons of the family can live separately or with his father, mother and other siblings.
58. The total area of Afghanistan is 652,230 sq km.
59. Dari Persian and Pashto are official languages of Afghanistan.
60. Afghanistan is inhabited by – 80% Sunni Muslim, 19% Shia Muslim and 1% others.
61. Afghanistan’s national holiday is on August, 19.
62. Literacy rate in Afghanistan is 43%.
63. Noshaq (7,492 meters or 24,580 ft) is the highest point in Afghanistan.
64. Helmand is the longest river in Afghanistan.
65. Afghan rugs are very popular around the world.
66. The average life expectancy at birth in Afghanistan is 53.25 years (2021).
Afghanistan – the country at a glance
|Independence||19 August, 1919 (from the UK)|
|Total area||total: 652,230 sq km|
land: 652,230 sq km
water: 0 sq km
|Population||37,466,414 (July 2021 est.)|
|Population growth rate||2.38% (2020 est.)|
|Official Language||Pashto and Dari|
|Languages spoken||Afghan Persian or Dari (official) 50%, Pashto (official) 35%, Turkic languages (primarily Uzbek and Turkmen) 11%, 30 minor languages (primarily Balochi and Pashai) 4%, much bilingualism, but Dari functions as the lingua franca|
|Suffrage||18 years of age; universal|
|Borders||China 91 km, Iran 921 km, Pakistan 2670 km, Tajikistan 1357 km, Turkmenistan 804 km, Uzbekistan 144 km|
|Government type||presidential Islamic republic|
|National Anthem||Pashto: Milli Surood|
|National holiday||Independence Day, 19 August (1919)|
|National colors||red, green, black|
|Life expectancy at birth||53.25 years (2021 est.)|
|Climate||arid to semiarid; cold winters and hot summers|
|Terrain||mostly rugged mountains; plains in north and southwest|
|Mean elevation||1,884 m|
|Highest point||Noshak 7,492 m|
|Lowest point||Amu Darya 258 m|
|Natural resources||natural gas, petroleum, coal, copper, chromite, talc, barites, sulfur, lead, zinc, iron ore, salt, precious and semiprecious stones, arable land|
|Birth rate||36.08 births/1,000 population (2021 est.)|
|Death rate||12.57 deaths/1,000 population (2021 est.)|
|Sex ratio||1.03 male(s)/female (2020 est.)|
|Industries||small-scale production of bricks, textiles, soap, furniture, shoes, fertilizer, apparel, food products, non-alcoholic beverages, mineral water, cement; handwoven carpets; natural gas, coal, copper|
|Exports||$784 million (2017 est.)|
opium, fruits and nuts, handwoven carpets, wool, cotton, hides and pelts, precious and semi-precious gems
|Imports||$7.616 billion (2017 est.)|
machinery and other capital goods, food, textiles, petroleum products
|GDP - per capita (PPP)||$2,065 (2019 est.)|
|Drives on the||Right|
|Time Zone||D† (UTC+4:30)|
|Internet country code||.af|
|Table last updated||July 20, 2021|