Last updated on April 13th, 2019
31. Hungary’s Franz Liszt was considered to be the greatest pianist of all time. He was also a well-known and influential composer, piano teacher and conductor. Hungary renamed their Budapest International Airport in his honor for the anniversary of his 200th birthday, in 2011. It is the most important center for domestic and international flights.
32. Hungarians are reputed to be the only people who can enter a revolving door behind you and emerge ahead.
33. Hungarians are very fond of red pepper powder.
34. The next time you are in the country with a bunch of friends and drink beer outdoors, do not clink those beer glasses. Hungarians vowed not to clink glasses after their generals were executed by Austrians, who later celebrated by drinking beers and clinking their mugs.
35. Johnny Weissmuller, who is known for playing Tarzan in the films of 1930s and 1940s, was born in Hungary.
36. The world-famous escape artist Harry Houdini was also born in Budapest, Hungary.
37. Albert Szent-Györgyi, the discoverer of Vitamin-C, was also born in Hungary.
38. Béla Lugosi, the original Dracula, was also a Hungarian.
39. The Hungarian swimmer László Cseh was one of the three swimmers who were awarded the most medals in a single Olympics swimming race. The other two swimmers were Michael Phelps (USA) and Chad le Clos (South Africa). All three swimmers took 51.14 seconds to swim the Men’s 100 m butterfly, at the 2016 Olympic Games held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, on 12 August 2016. This was the first ever three-way tie in an Olympic swimming event.
40. Hungarians are brainy people. They have invented some of the most popular and useful things ever. The helicopter, the ballpoint pen, and the Rubik’s cube are all Hungarian inventions.
Hungary – country at a glance
|Table last updated||July 26, 2019|
|Area||total: 93,028 sq km
land: 89,608 sq km
water: 3,420 sq km
|Population||9,825,704 (July 2018 est.)|
|Borders||Slovakia, Romania, Serbia, Croasia, Slovenia, Austria, Ukrain|
|Life expectancy at birth||76.3 Years (est. 2018)
Life expectancy at birth indicates the number of years a newborn infant would live if prevailing patterns of mortality at the time of its birth were to stay the same throughout its life.
|Suffrage||18 years of age, 16 if married; universal|
|Climate||temperate; cold, cloudy, humid winters; warm summers|
|Terrain||mostly flat to rolling plains; hills and low mountains on the Slovakian border|
|Mean elevation||143 m|
|Lowest point||Tisza River 78 m|
|Highest point||Kekes 1,014 m|
|Birth rate||8.9 births/1,000 population (2018 est.)
|Death rate||12.8 deaths/1,000 population (2018 est.)|
|Sex ratio||0.91 male(s)/female (2018 est.)|
|Government type||parliamentary republic
|Prime Minister||Viktor Orbán|
|National anthem||"Himnusz" (Hymn)|
|National symbols||Holy Crown of Hungary (Crown of Saint Stephen)|
|National colors||red, white, green|
|Industries||mining, metallurgy, construction materials, processed foods, textiles, chemicals (especially pharmaceuticals), motor vehicles|
|Exports||$98.74 billion (2017 est.)
machinery and equipment 53.5%, other manufactures 31.2%, food products 8.7%, raw materials 3.4%, fuels and electricity 3.9% (2012 est.)
|Imports||$96.3 billion (2017 est.)
machinery and equipment 45.4%, other manufactures 34.3%, fuels and electricity 12.6%, food products 5.3%, raw materials 2.5% (2012)
|GDP - per capita (PPP)||$29,600 (2017 est.)|
|Internet country code||.hu|
|Time Zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|Drives on the||Right|