Last updated on December 28th, 2020
45. He once used a hand-wash detergent in a dishwasher
Michael didn’t notice that he had used hand-wash soap instead of utensils detergent, and his kitchen flooded with soap buds, covering his feet up to knees.
46. He abandoned a press interview to watch Katie swim
Katie Hoff was Michael’s teammate in their swimming club. Because he did not want to miss a moment, he rushed to go and watch her win her first world record. He came back later to continue with the interview.
47. He faced a DUI charge in 2014
At some point, Michael started binge drinking and ended up driving under influence. For this, the authorities arrested him although he later decided to check himself in a rehabilitation center.
48. He hated getting out of bed in the morning
Michael’s family had a cat, Savannah, that would usually curl up next to him whenever they were both sleepy. In the morning, he wouldn’t want to get out of bed although he was always full of energy once he did.
49. He has disproportionate body parts
The Swimming World Magazine describes a swimmer’s body as one with long arms, short legs, long torso, and big feet. Other than skill and hard work, Michael has this body type and it played a role in his swimming career. Standing at 6 feet 4 inches, Phelps has the torso of a man who’s 6 feet 8 inches tall… and the legs of a man 8 inches shorter. This disproportionately large chest enables Phelps to power himself through the water.
50. He was once seen smoking a bong
A photo of Michael smoking a bong at a party went viral on the internet in 2009. Although he didn’t say whether there was marijuana in the bong, he apologized to his family, friends, and fans claiming it was a big mistake.
Michael Phelps quotes
1. “You can’t put a limit on anything. The more you dream, the farther you get.”
2. “I won’t predict anything historic. But nothing is impossible.”
3. “I want to test my maximum and see how much I can do. And I want to change the world of swimming.”
4. “If you want to be the best, you have to do things that other people aren’t willing to do.”
5. “I think that everything is possible as long as you put your mind to it and you put the work and time into it. I think your mind really controls everything.”
6. “I think goals should never be easy, they should force you to work, even if they are uncomfortable at the time.”
7. “The more you dream the more you achieve.”
8. “I can only control my own performance. If I do my best, then I can feel good at the end of the day.”
9. “I listen to music before my competitions to get me pumped up. It helps me stay focused.”
10. “I learned how fast you can go from being an international hero to being a reference in a joke on a late night talk show.”
11. “I eat pretty much whatever I want. I don’t have a strict diet. It’s all about cramming in as many calories into my system as I possibly can.”
12. “It doesn’t matter what else is going on. When you walk into your arena or your – whatever you excel at, you’re there to take care of the job that you have to do.”
Michael Phelps – Quick facts and statistics
|Birth name||Michael Fred Phelps II|
|Nicknames||Flying Fish, GOAT - Greatest of All Time, Mr. Swimming, Superman, The Baltimore Bullet.|
|Born||30 June 1985, Baltimore, Maryland, United States|
|Field of Work||Swimming|
|Strokes||Butterfly, individual medley, freestyle, backstroke|
|Club||North Baltimore Aquatic Club|
|Awards||Sports Illustrated Sportsperson of the Year 2008; Associated Press male Athlete of the year 2008; best Male U.S. Olympic Athlete ESPY Award 2017, 2013, 2009.|
|Education||University of Michigan|
|Parents||Father - Michael Fred Phelps|
Mother - Deborah Phelps
|Sibling||Sisters - Hilary Phelps and Whitney Phelps|
|Spouse||Nicole Johnson (m. 2016)|
|Children||Boomer Robert Phelps|
Maverick Nicolas Phelps
Beckett Richard Phelps
|In films||Unfiltered (2005)|
|Height||6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)|
|Weight||194 lb (88 kg)|
|Net Worth||60 - 80 Million USD|