Last updated on April 10th, 2020
31. Did you know that Rhode Island’s GDP is about the same as the GDP of Slovenia?
32. Rhode Island’s state motto is “Hope” and that is shorter than the state motto of any other state.
33. Coffee milk is the official state drink of Rhode Island.
34. According to some research, there are more doughnuts shops per capita in the Providence metro area than anywhere else.
35. America’s first Jazz festival was held in New Port in 1954.
36. Rhode Island was the last of 13 original colonies to join the Union.
37. Founded in 1922, WJAR was the state’s first radio station.
38. With twelve colleges and universities, higher education is one of the state’s major industries.
39. The Scituate Reservoir which is also the source of drinking water for Providence and many other communities is the largest artificial lake in New England.
40. In 1800s, Rhode Island became America’s first industrialized state. It built steam engines, textiles and jewelry to name a few. Today, tourism, health care, and education are among the leading industries.