Last updated on February 14th, 2020
29. North Dakota has played host to some famous movies which include Fargo (1995), Dakota (1945), and My Father’s Garden documentary (1996). However, none of the scenes in Fargo was filmed there. Besides, the movie was only loosely based on 2 true events and even these did not occur in North Dakota but Minnesota. But you can find the wood chipper used in that movie on display at Fargo-Moorhead Visitor Center.
30. Fargo, the largest city in the state takes its name from William Fargo, the co-founder of Wells Fargo & Company.
32. Another interesting facts about North Dakota is that that according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, North Dakota has the second-lowest unemployment rate in the U.S. Vermont has the lowest of the pack.
33. Did you know that Ruso, a hamlet in McLean County, is the least populous incorporated place in North Dakota? The city has a population of four.
34. The state produces 40 million gallons of milk each year from its 68 licensed dairy herds; and has 29,900 farms across 39.1 million acres. Milk is its official state beverage.
35. According to the NYtimes.com, North Dakota produces more electricity than is consumed in the state and about half is sent to its neighbors.
36. After Texas, North Dakota is the country’s second largest oil producing state.
North Dakota – Quick facts and state symbols
|State Size||Total (Land + Water): 70,700 sq miles; Land Only: 68,976 sq miles|
(Estimate July 1, 2017 from United States Census Bureau)
|Statehood||November 2, 1889|
|State rank by population||47th|
|State rank by date of formation||39th|
|State rank by area||19th|
|Number of Counties||53|
|Bordering States||Minnesota, Montana, South Dakota|
|Highest Point||White Butte
3,508 ft (1069 m)
|Lowest point||Red River of the North at Manitoba border
751 ft (229 m)
|Length||211 miles (340 km)|
|Width||335 miles (539 km)|
(33rd Governor of North Dakota since December 15, 2016.)
|State Motto||Liberty and union, now and forever, one and inseparable|
|State Nickname||Sioux State; Flickertail State; Peace Garden State; Rough Rider State|
|Famous people||Leslie Bibb (Actress)
Angie Dickinson (Actress)
Josh Duhamel (Actor)
|State Bird||Western Meadowlark|
|State Fish||Northern pike|
|State Flower||Wild prairie rose|
|State Fossil||Teredo Petrified Wood|
|State Grass||Western Wheatgrass|
|State Insect||Convergent Lady Beetle|
|State March||Flickertail March|
|State horse||Nokota Horse|
|State Tree||American Elm|
|Longitude||96° 33′ W to 104° 03′ W|
|Latitude||45° 56′ N to 49° 00′ N|
|Time Zone||Central Time Zone, Mountain Time Zone|
|Table last updated||June 8, 2020|