Last updated on December 29th, 2021
39. Did you know that the Earth’s tallest volcano – Mauna Kea – is in Hawaii? The volcano together with other four volcanoes makes up the Big Island of Hawaii. The volcanic mountain is so immense that it is sinking into the sea floor under the pressure of its own weight.
40. The first telephone was established in Hawaii in 1931.
41. Hawaii lies just below the Tropic of Cancer.
42. Hawaii on its rural and urban interstates has the lowest maximum speed limit (60 mph) of any state.
43. The hula dance was created in Hawaii. It uses hand motions to tell stories and to pay respect to gods, goddesses, and nature.
44. The third Friday in August is a holiday, commemorating Hawai’i statehood in 1959. The day is also known as “Admission Day.” Who was the first Japanese American to serve in Congress? In 1959, Daniel Inouye, became the first Japanese American elected to Congress. He fought heroically for the United States in the WWII.
Hawaii – quick facts and state symbols
List Of 50 U.S. States And Their Capital
|State Size||Total (Land + Water): 10,931 sq miles; Land Only: 6,423 sq miles
(Estimate July 1, 2019 from United States Census Bureau)
|Statehood||August 21, 1959
|State rank by population||40th|
|State rank by date of formation||50th|
|State rank by area||43rd|
|Number of Counties||5
Complete list of 50 states and number of counties in each
|Official Language||English, Hawaiian|
|Highest Point||Mauna Kea
13,796 ft (4205.0 m)
|Lowest point||Pacific Ocean
|Mean elevation||3,030 feet above seal level|
|Length||1,522 miles (2,450 km)
|Governor||David Ige (D)|
|Lieutenant Governor||Josh Green (D)|
|State Motto||Ua mau ke ea o ka aina i ka pono (The life of the land is perpetuated in righteousness)|
|State Nickname||Aloha State|
|Noble prize Winners||Barack H. Obama (Peace, 2009)|
|Famous people||Jason Momoa
|U.S. President Born in Hawaii||1. Barack Hussein Obama II.|
|State Island Flower||Hawai'i 'Ohi'a Lehua|
|State Gem||Ēkaha kū moana|
|State Island Lei Material: Ni'hau||Pupu Shells|
|State Marine Mammal||Humpback Whale|
|State Mammal||Hawaiian Monk Seal|
|State Land Mammal||Hawaiian Hoary Bat|
|State Musical Instrument (traditional)||Pahu|
|Longitude||154° 48′ W to 178° 22′ W
|Latitude||18° 55′ N to 28° 27′ N
|Time Zone||Hawaii-Aleutian Time Zone
|Table last updated||December 20, 2021|