Last updated on July 8th, 2017 at 10:40 am
Azerbaijan, officially the Republic of Azerbaijan, is a country in the South Caucasus region, situated at the crossroads of Southwest Asia and Southeastern Europe. With these 66 facts about Azerbaijan, let’s discover more about its history, culture, traditions, geography, economy, people and more…
About Azerbaijan’s history
1. Azerbaijan is the first democratic state in the Islam-oriented countries. It is also the first Muslim country to have theater plays and operas.
2. Azerbaijan is an ancient country with rich history and culture.
3. Azerbaijan is also known as “the Land of Fire”.
4. Azer means “fire”. The people living in Azerbaijan before thousands of years from today worshipped the fire as they considered it as their god. The word ‘Azer’ has two parts – ‘az’ and ‘er’.
5. Azerbaijan–the name of the country–is also considered to have originated from the name of an ancient Turkish tribe, who lived in those territories.
6. Azerbaijan briefly became independent between 1918 and 1920; however, it was once again incorporated into the Soviet Union for the next seventy years.
7. Before the establishment of Soviet power in Azerbaijan, there were 2,000 mosques in the country. However, most of these mosques were closed in the 1930s.
8. Corruption is widespread in the country and is one of its major problems.
9. The government is also accused of authoritarianism as it amended the presidential term limit from 5 years to 7 years in 2016.
10. The country got hold of its independence on August 30th, 1991.
Also read: facts about Iran
11. The country has a majority-Turkic and majority-Shia Muslim population.
12. Humans have inhabited Azerbaijan since the Paleolithic age (also called Old Stone Age, ancient cultural stage, or level, of human development, characterized by the use of rudimentary chipped stone tools – definition by Encyclopedia Britannica.)
Continue reading on the next page…